Oxford Launches the 2015 Big Draw Festival
Saturday 19 September 11 - 5pm
Free Workshops and Events across Oxford
Complete a free Walk & Draw Trail and discover treasures new and old in creative workshops at nine venues. Join artists, scientists and illustrators to expand your ideas about drawing.
1. Weston Library, Bodleian Libraries 11am -12.30pm: Philip Pullman, author, and Chris Riddell, Children’s Laureate, launch the 2015 Big Draw Festival in drawings and words, inviting everyone to join in. Workshops led by Claire Duffy, Catherine Watson and Richard Lawrence, robotic portraiture with Patrick Tresset and The Same River Twice video (Tamarin Norwood & Anton Viesel) continue to 4.30.
Find out more about each of the Weston Library events. 3D Mapping, Drawing Together, Drawing with Camera Obscura, Making your own unique artist book with Studio Hato, Robotic Portraiture, Sketch for Survival and The Same River Twice.
Advance booking only required for
Drawing Masterclass with Adam Dant (Ages 8+) 2-4.30pm Book at www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/create-a-bibliotopia
Digital Animation workshop with Angus Dick (8+) 2–4.30pm Produce and screen a collaborative animation for the Library’s big screen using Samsung tablets (Ages 8+) Book at www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/five-frames-of-genius.
2. Radcliffe Square 11am - 4pm: Yarn-Storming with woolly street artist Deadly Knitshade
3. Museum of the History of Science 12 - 4pm: X-ray Line – experiment with 3-D drawing
4. The Story Museum 10am - 5pm: Visit Draw Me a Story! exhibition, the Illustrator Zoo and workshops; 3 - 4pm Chris Riddell, the Children’s Laureate shares tips in a special draw-along event; entrance fee
10.30am - 4.30pm: Ready Steady Colour! Free interactive fun for 3+ in Museum Courtyard, booking advised at www.storymuseum.org.uk
5. Modern Art Oxford 2 - 4pm: Loop the Loop with Georgie Manly & Judith Brocklehurst by contributing to a never-ending collaborative drawing.
6. Old Fire Station 12 - 2pm: Before the Tempest drop-in experimental multi-media workshop with Nicola Armitage and Adam Childs
Find out more about three drawing activities on capturing the unseen breath and a live drawing workshop.
7. Ashmolean Museum 1 - 4 pm: Draw Your Bow! Make a mini bow and paint with arrows
8. Pitt Rivers Museum 11am -1pm: Drawing the Drawers – what's hidden inside Pitt River's drawers?
9. Oxford Museum of Natural History 1 - 4pm: Minibeast Masterpieces and Dinosaur Doodles
+ Blackwell’s Bookshop 1pm - 2.30pm: Chris Riddell book signing, cartooning, competitions and creative activities
Read more about Blackwell's Bookshop events. Be part of a giant fold and draw story, join a public storyboard, try experimental drawing, make a monster mask for halloween, try illustrating your own bag and draw your own garden inspired by Monet.
Read the press release for The Big Draw 2015 launch at the Bodelian Libraries here.